Sunday, February 9, 2020

"will" vs "would" in hypothetical situations


I am aware that in hypothetical situations one should use "would" instead of "will".
But I came across this text:



The World Bank report addresses a particular worry of Russian authorities: that unemployment will translate into civil unrest.

- from the article "World Bank Sees Slump in Russia Worsening" -



As far as I understand this is just hypothetical forecast, so my guess is that "would" should have been used. But it is not the case. Is this done to emphasis that forecasting is very likely to happen?



Answer



The future is always hypothetical. Whenever you use will, you are talking about someone's expectation, plan, hope, or fear.


If the concern is still current, if the authorities are worried today, use will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...