Thursday, July 27, 2017

word form - Is "indices" or "indexes" the plural of "index"?


I've heard both plural forms of index, indices and indexes. I usually use indices when referring to the computer science term for database index, but I'm not sure if it is correct in that context.


Are both indices and indexes correct? If only one of them is correct, which one?



Answer



Both are correct, though there are some specific usages as pointed in another answer; Google Ngrams suggests that indices is slightly more used than indexes.



For American English we have (in both charts, indices is blue and indexes is red):


enter image description here


For British English we have:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...