Saturday, July 1, 2017

game design - Do you need to make a tileset for a platformer?


I've been tasked to make a platformer, I've never made a tiled game before, is this necessary?


I.e. can I just make different child classes of a Sprite class and add place them on the map, adding their own functionality?


I'm using html5 canvas and JS if that makes a difference.



Answer



No, platformers do not have to be tile based. You can do "free placement" of sprites as well. See these related questions to learn more:


Recommended method towards making custom maps for a 2d game?


How can I get textures on edge of walls like in Super Metroid and Aquaria?


I'll also add the link Seth shared because it's an excellent resource.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...