Tuesday, November 1, 2016

modal verbs - "will" or "would"


What is the difference in meaning between the following sentences?




Why don't you do the exam?


I'm sure you will pass it.



or



I'm sure you would pass it.




Answer



The difference is very slight, but as Alex says its about the difference between a real and a counter-factual situation.




I'm sure you will pass it.



implies



You are going to take it and you will pass it.


I'm sure you would pass it.



implies



If you decided to take it, you would pass it (but you might decide not to take it).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...