Tuesday, November 22, 2016

plural forms - Why "was" not "were" in "Nearly £20 was taken from my bank account"


I've always said "$100 were taken" not "$100 was taken" because I thought $100 is plural. Could you explain why "was" not "were"? Any other helpful notes about the issue would be appreciated.



Nearly £20 was taken from my bank account




Answer



Because phrases that indicate the amount of sum, time, distance, weight, temperature, etc. are treated as singular:



10 million pounds is a lot of money.




= This sum is a lot of of money.



50 liters of petrol fills my car.



= This quantity fills my car.



Five kilometers is a long way to walk.



= This distance is a long way to walk.




Fifty degrees is a very high temperature.



= This temperature is a very high temperature.


And so on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...