Sunday, November 13, 2016

Using the past perfect in questions


From an ESL textbook.



Write about something you accomplished : What did you accomplish ? How long had you been preparing for it ?
How had you been preparing ?



I don't know why it sounds weird to me. :( ??



Answer




I don't see any sense in a single question in past perfect. Past perfect is used in reference to another statement in the past, expressing a chronological order. The statement in Past Perfect concerns something that was before the statement in Past Tense:



  • Last year we were on holiday in Italy. The year before we had been in Greece.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...