Monday, November 14, 2016

word choice - a two hour leave VS. two hours leave


I couldn't get the difference between these?






  1. give me a two hour leave




  2. give me two hours leave





What is more, when it comes to using the latter, which one would you rather use?



two hours' leave


two hour leave



Answer



Both are okay. However, I'd write in this way...



Grant me a two-hour leave (note the hyphen)
Grant me two hours' leave (note the apostrophe)



That's because I am making two-hour an adjective. On the other hand, if I want to use possession, I'd go for the second sentence.


Another option could be...




Grant me a leave for two hours (clarifying all possible ambiguities in your mind!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...