Thursday, November 17, 2016

word request - Can we use "shot" for "serum"?


I was in the hospital the other day. A doctor prescribed me serum. How could I say this? Can I use "shot"? Like "I got a shot yesterday"?



And what can a nurse say when they do this to you? "I (the nurse) give him (a patient) a shot/serum"?


I don't know if you use serum in this situation so this picture is also attached to prevent any ambiguity about what I meant by serum.




Answer



The picture is of someone "getting an IV". A nurse would "administer an IV" or simply "give an IV".


(On TV a doctor might yell at a nurse to, "Start an IV stat!" or, "Get an IV started with 250 milligrams of isopropylwhambamthankyoumamamine stat!" -- but the few times I've been witness to actual real life emergency rooms, they never said anything like that.)



I went into the emergency room and they found my electrolytes were really low, so they gave me an IV.


While my father was in the hospital they administered all his medications through an IV.




"IV" is short for "intravenous drip", but you hear the phrase all the time on television so many people will know what "IV" means.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...