Tuesday, May 3, 2016

grammaticality - Are those sentences grammatical?




Q1. Are those 8 sentences grammatical ones? or if not could you tell me?
Q2. Why do we use 1 instead of 3? It seems both are similar but is there any meaning difference or any purpose?



  1. I love it that he will resign.

  2. I love it he will resign.

  3. I love that he will resign.


  4. I love he will resign.





  5. Rumor had it that he will resign.



  6. Rumor had it he will resign.

  7. Rumor had he will resign.

  8. Rumor had that he will resign.


With the verb love, for me as second language learner, sentence (1) can be paraphrased as I love the situation(=the fact) that he will resign. While, when it comes to the verb had, the sentence, Rumor had the situation(=the fact) that he will resign., sounds bad.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...