Thursday, May 26, 2016

2d - What is the pixels to units property in Unity sprites used for?


I'm starting to learn Unity for 2D development.


So, I am importing several sprites into the game, and I couldn't help but notice that there is a "pixels to units" property, by default on 100. I normally set it to 1. Is there a reason why I would need to have this value different than 1? Or, more generally, is there a reason to have multiple sprites with different




Answer



100 pixels per unit would mean a sprite that's 100 pixels would equal 1 unit in the scene. It's simply a scale to say how many pixels equal one unit. This can affect things like physics. A lower pixels to units setting would require more force to move one unit than a higher pixels to units setting.


Yes, there may be times where you'll want to manipulate the pixels per unit. If you have a tile sheet of 16x16 tiles, you may want to consider setting the pixels per unit to 16 so that you can easily snap tiles together in a scene, for example.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...