Saturday, May 21, 2016

Does listening to English learning clips help to improve "Listening" skill?


I want to improve my listening skill in order to understand speaking of native English speakers. For this I have searched in the Internet and Youtube clips and finally figured out listening to English conversations, movies, clips etc might be very helpful for improving this skill.



So, I am here to ask a couple of questions related to this matter.




  • Does listening to same clips over and over again help or I should listen to new one once I am done with previous one?




  • How many times at least should I listen to audio files per day? (How long time should I spend per day?)



  • What should I do when I have stuck somewhere in the video (cannot parse what they are talking)? I should go ahead or I should not until understand all prior part of video



I have already noticed that this question might be off-topic because of its opinion-based nature, if this is so, please tell me the right Stack Exchange site which this question is on-topic at.


Note that my primarily focus is on American English not any other types of English.


Any answer would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance



Answer



My experience:



Does listening to same clips over and over again help or I should listen to new one once I am done with previous one?



As long as you understand a certain clip, move on. The more word patterns and vocalizations you learn, the better.




How many times at least should I listen to audio files per day? (How long time should I spend per day?)



As much as you can without getting discouraged.



What should I do when I have stuck somewhere in the video (cannot parse what they are talking)? I should go ahead or I should not until understand all prior part of video?



This is where some assistance might help.



1) Try to watch videos where the actions tend to follow what is being spoken. For example, an actor gets into a taxi and says "Take me to the airport and hurry". Even if you do not understand every word just by listening, the actions will help you grasp the correct word. After you hear and can recognize the same word a few times, it should stick in your memory.


2) Try to watch videos that have subtitles in the same language as the speech (not translations). But don't follow them unless you get stuck on a word.



3) Try to watch videos that have slow clear speech patterns. Try to stay away from heavy accents, fast or slurred speech etc. For music, slow, clear pronunciation (something like ballads as opposed to hard rock). Major network news programs are also good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...