Sunday, May 8, 2016

phrase meaning - How would "Have a good one." be understood in this context?


I was replying to somebody who said to be going to eat something and rest, and said "Have a good one." I was not understood, and asked what I meant by that.


Isn't "have a good one" used instead of "have a good afternoon" or "have a good evening"? Even if that is not the standard meaning, should not the phrase be understood as "have a good eat" or "have a good rest" at least in the context I used it?



Answer




It's context-dependent. When used as a farewell, it's usually interpreted to mean, "Have a good day," or, "Have a good evening," or (on Fridays), "Have a good weekend."


It could also be used in this context:



Do you want to get together on Saturday?
No, Saturday is my birthday, and my husband is taking me out.
Oh! Well, have a good one.



In that case, "Have a good one," could mean mean, "Have a good time," or, "Have a good birthday," or, "I hope you have a nice date." There's a decent chance it means a little bit of all three.


If I told you, "I'm going to grab something to eat, and then I'm going to lay down and rest," and you said, "Have a good one," I'd assume you meant, "Have a nice rest," or, "Have a good nap." I'd regard it as simple well-wishing. It may be informal speech, but I wouldn't press you for an explanation. I'd probably just say, "Thanks," or maybe, "Thanks, I will."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...