Wednesday, November 4, 2015

grammar - Can I use 'in' instead of 'at'? -- "I have more books in my house."


I am learning English using the Duolingo English course, one of correct solution was



I have more books at my house.



Can I use



I have more books in my house.




If it is OK, what is the difference between both?



Answer



It is a matter of "location" at my house vs. "contained/enclosed by/inside" in my house.
In your examples, house could refer to a location or what is inside it. Which one is best may depend on context.
For example, when you say:



I have more books at my house.



they could be on the driveway, in your backyard, etc. as these would still be referred to as your house location-wise.


When you say:




I have more books in my house.



they could be in a desk drawer, in your room, etc. stating what they are inside of.


You could say:



I have more books in my desk drawer.



but you would not say:




I have more books at my desk drawer.



But if you are specific about location:



I have more friends at the lake.



this probably does not mean the same thing as:



I have more friends in the lake.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...