Saturday, January 7, 2017

word choice - Do we say "accuse somebody for" or "of"?


In one of my essays, I wrote:




She accused him for lack of morality



and it was marked as a syntactic error. Do we use for or of with the verb accuse?



Answer



As far as I know, accuse is always used with the preposition of. To say accuse someone for something is just grammatically wrong. If you accuse someone of doing something wrong or illegal, you tell them that you believe or suspect that they did it.


Example #1:



He was accused of embezzling millions of dollars through offshore accounts, but the court couldn't come up with solid proof of his crime that was enough to put him behind bars. So, they just had to let him go.



Example #2:




How dare you accuse me of stealing money from my own friends!



So, your example if properly rewritten would read like this:



She accused him of lacking moral principles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...