Wednesday, January 18, 2017

grammaticality - Is "I watched them go" grammatically correct?


It has been only few years I have been watching English movies. Recently I heard a sentence saying "I watched them go".


I have been repeating the scene, and checked through subtitles whether I heard it correctly or not. Is the phrase a correct use of grammar, or is there any incoherency in the meaning?


In this case, can we also say things like these?



I saw him speak.

We saw him go.



etc...



Answer



In spoken English (or dialogue in a book, movie, etc.), "I watched him go" implies that I watched him for some or all of the duration of him 'going' (preparing to leave, exiting through the door, maybe driving off down the road until he is no longer visible). "I saw him go", on the other hand, implies that I had caught a glance of him leaving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...