Thursday, January 12, 2017

Does the adjective 'same' ALWAYS have the definite article 'the'?


I admit. The articles are the most difficult things I find in this language but I'm learning and I'm better than before! I've been reading about the articles in several authentic books and have a question now.



Does the adjective 'same' ALWAYS have the definite article 'the'?



In fact, looking at complexities of using the articles for zillions of nouns, I feel at least this word -same will make me sure using the article the if this is the case! So, next time on, I'll never make a mistake by not putting the before same.



Answer



I believe that this can answer your question.




same
adjective, adverb, pronoun
Same can be used in the following ways:
as an adjective (after "the," "this," "that," "these," or "those"): We both went to the same school. ♦ Our new competitors are those same people who once asked us to help them.
as a pronoun (after "the"): I'd do the same if I had the chance.
as an adverb (after "the"): The twins always dress the same.
The same is often followed by "as" or "that": Three-twelfths is the same as a quarter. ♦ I've got the same problem as you. ♦ It's the same film that they showed last year.
In informal spoken English "the" is sometimes left out before same: We'll meet again next week, same time, same place. But in written English same is almost always used with "the," "this," "that," etc.



The part "In informal spoken English "the" is sometimes left out before same: We'll meet again next week, same time, same place. But in written English same is almost always used with "the," "this," "that," etc." confirms my intuition that many people drop the the before same in real speech.



However, in written English, it's clear that we should use the same (or this, that, etc. same).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...