Monday, April 27, 2015

word usage - What is the difference between 'remember' and 'remembered'?



In the following context:



Holly begins by telling the narrator about a man named Sally Tomato who is a member of the Mafia. She remembered seeing this man at Joe Bell's bar as a regular before he was arrested. Holly Golightly describes how a lawyer pays her $100 to speak to Sally every week. Holly eventually drifts off to sleep, but gets annoyed when she starts speaking in her sleep and leaves the narrator's room.



In general, the tense used in the above context is present tense except the sentence in bold, which is past tense.


My question is that can I apply present tense to this sentence in this paragraph?


Further more


When I'm having a conversation with someone, which one of the two sentences is more proper?


1): I remember you have two boys.


2): I remembered you have two boys.



According to my own understanding about the word 'remember'. When present tense is used, it is to emphasize the action of the verb which happens now. And when past tense is used, it is to emphasize the fact that I have remembered something. Is this correct?*




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...