Wednesday, November 28, 2018

meaning - "Will + be + verb -ing)" vs "Will + verb" ?


Can someone explain me the constructions (or however they are called) with the "Will + be + verb -ing)" and the "Will + verb" ?



Answer




Will + be + verb-ing


This is the future continuous/progressive tense. It describes an action that will be on going or in progress sometime in the future. It is often combined with a time reference. For example:



"Can you go shopping with me this afternoon?" asks one.


"I will be visiting my neighbor this afternoon," responds another.



The response indicates that a visit will be in progress "this afternoon."


The future continuous tense can be used without the time reference, but that presumes a time reference was provided or implied earlier in the discussion or narrative (or the statement doens't make sense).



"What will you be doing at seven o'clock?" asks one.



"I will be visiting my neighbor," responds another.



Will + verb


This is the future tense or simple future tense. It only indicates that something will happen in the future, but tells us nothing about the nature of that event. It is often used with a condition, meaning something must be completed first before moving on to the future task. For example:



I will visit my neighbor when I'm done sewing.



The future task is "visit my neighbor." The condition that must be completed before that task is "sewing."


The future tense can be used without a condition. For example:




"Who will clean up this mess?" asks one.


"I will do it," responds another.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...