Saturday, July 28, 2018

What is the grammar rule here? How do I explain this in a simple way?


So my Japanese friend asked me why we can say


Is he gone? Is he finished?


But we can't say


Is he changed? Is he arrived? Is he fallen? Is he shrunk? Is he departed? Is he died? Is he melted?


I'm wondering what the grammar here is. changed, fallen, departed can be used as adjectives so shouldn't it be okay to use it in that kind of sentence? But I feel a entence like "Is he fallen?" sounds unnatural.


How do I go about explaining this in an easy-to-understand way to my Japanese friend?


I appreciate any help! Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...