Monday, June 4, 2018

Is “fortnight” an outdated word?


I'm studying English vocabulary books, I find this word in each unit describing time words (days, weeks, months...).



There are 2 weeks in a fortnight.




Almost I haven't seen this word before in social websites, emails or movies. the only place I heard this word is in historical movies.


So, is it a outdated word or native speakers still use it?


Ngram:


enter image description here



Answer



"Fortnight" is very much alive and well in British English.


I believe that many Americans regard it as a word out of history.


I suspect (though I don't know for sure) that other English speakers areas (eg Australia, New Zealand, South Africa) still use it.


Update: on GloWbE (the corpus of Global Web-based English, these are the figures:




  • UK: 2900

  • Australia: 1437

  • Ireland: 784

  • India: 661

  • New Zealand: 571

  • USA: 328

  • Sri Lanka: 207


(The other 13 areas it distinguishes are all below 200, including South Africa and Canada).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...