Sunday, June 3, 2018

conjunctions - Is this 'that' a pronoun or a conjunctive?



. . . frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon; for the intimate revelation of young men, or at least the terms in which they express them, are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions. Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope. I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth. (F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby)



Is ‘that’ a pronoun that referring to any words or that-clause is a noun clause and object of ‘forget’?



Answer



Take out as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, and you will see that it’s a subordinator, introducing the clause a sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...