Sunday, June 10, 2018

How can I design good continuous (seamless) tiles?


I have trouble designing tiles so that when assembled, they don't look like tiles, but look like a homogeneous thing. For example, see the image below:



enter image description here


Even though the main part of the grass is only one tile, you don't "see" the grid; you know where it is if you look a bit carefully, but it is not obvious. Whereas when I design tiles, you can only see "oh, jeez, 64 times the same tile," like in this image:


enter image description here (I took this from another GDSE question, sorry; not be critical of the game, but it proves my point. And actually has better tile design that what I manage, anyway.)


I think the main problem is that I design them so they are independent, there is no junction between two tiles if put closed to each other. I think having the tiles more "continuous" would have a smoother effect, but can't manage to do it, it seems overly complex to me.


I think it is probably simpler than I think once you know how to do it, but couldn't find a tutorial on that specific point. Is there a known method to design continuous / homogeneous tiles? (My terminology might be totally wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.)



Answer



Disclaimer: I'm not an artist so this is just programmer's art knowledge.


You're having the grid effect in your example mostly because of that lighter patch of grass on the bottom edge of the tile:


enter image description here


Details like that that are easily recognizable instantly give it away that you're just repeating the same tile.



Check this article which has a lot of useful tips on the subject. In particular, using Photoshop:



  • Use the Patch Tool to get rid of glaring details.

  • Use the Doge or Burn tool to get uniform luminosity everywhere.

  • Make the edges seamless by offseting the image and then using the Patch Tool to blend the edges together. I've also seen people duplicate and mirror the image four times before for this purpose.


Also in the image you linked there seems to be an implementation problem too because when zooming in on the image you can see some gaps between tiles:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...