Thursday, May 31, 2018

word usage - Ain't and negatives


I am puzzled with the use of ain't. I know its meaning, and also know it is pretty informal. But I see it used in several ways, some I think of as conflicting.


See the following examples






I ain't an idiot



expands to



I am not an idiot



Which, in my understanding means "Well, I am declaring myself not an idiot"






It just ain't done good



expands to



It just is not done good



Which, in my understanding means "An action didn't generate good results"






But I ain't marchin' anymore



expands to



But I am not marching anymore



Which, in my understanding means "I am saying, that I will stop marching"





Hey, ain't gonna cry no more today




expands to



Hey, I am not going to cry no more today



This one is a bit weird, but in my understanding means "I am declaring my intentions of crying no more than I already did, today"





I ain't no quitter




expands to



I am not no quitter



Which, in my understanding means that "I am a quitter", since the first negation negates the second...


I really think it means "I am no quitter", but then "ain't" doesn't abbreviate the length of "am", so I don't get the usage of "ain't", or perhaps this phrase ain't a good example, even for an informal contraction like ain't.


Is it correct to use ain't followed by a no? Does the "no" lose its negation?


I really hope I ain't that confused by the answers...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...