Wednesday, December 21, 2016

realtime - Where can I find real-world map data for a game?



I want to build a game with a concept similar to Ingress, where the game map is overlaid on a real one.


Where can I find map data for an app like that? How (generally) do I integrate my own game objects into that map? Game objects need to move in real time, so having them as static markers on the map isn't sufficient.


I thought I could use Google Maps but as far as I can tell it would be impossible to create my own graphical style (like Ingress has done) with the official API provided by Google.



Answer



You could use OpenStreetMap data.


It is liberally licensed. In particular, their wiki says:



3c. If I make something with OSM data, do I now have to apply your license to my whole work?


No. For example, if you have written a game or published an artistic map which includes OSM data, only the data is covered by the license. This is called a Produced Work.




The developer wiki explains how to import OSM data into a database for your own use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...