Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Meaning of 'should have' in sentences


What is the meaning of 'should have' in the following sentences:




  1. I should have let her know what was happening but I forgot.




  2. They should have remembered that their guests don't eat meat meat.





  3. I should have sent everybody a reminded by email.




  4. He should have told them the truth but he didn't.




  5. I don't think you should have done it.




I'm confused here because I know that 'should have' is used to imply 'regret' for example:





  1. I got really wet today while going to market. I should have taken an umbrella.




  2. She wept so badly. I shouldn't have scolded her.




do the first five examples imply 'regret'? Or, do 'should have' implies both 'obligation and regreats' in all those 5 examples? Or, Do 'should have' implies both 'obligation and regreats' in all those 5 examples?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...