Saturday, September 30, 2017

c++ - Writing a custom model file format


I am using Ogre for my rendering engine, and I planned on just using the .mesh format that is setup by default with Ogre. However, I recently purchased a large number of 3d assets from a company, only to find out that they use 7 blend weights where as Ogre has a max limit of 4.


I don't know much about modeling and animation (which is why I purchased the art) but just from thinking, it is probably fairly difficult to change something like this in the model without having to reanimate it.


So this led me to think about a custom model format. I know the basics of what is stored, verts/polygons/etc, but I am wondering if this is something I am right in thinking I probably need to do? If so, are there any good resources on developing a custom model format? Tutorials/samples/anything would be great. So far all I have found is http://www.falloutsoftware.com/tutorials/gl/gl6.htm which is helpful but not complete.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...