Tuesday, August 29, 2017

syntax - "I want to understand what my options are" or "I want to understand what are my options"?


Which way is correct: "I want to understand what my options are" or "I want to understand what are my options" and why ?


Since my English still needs tons of work, this baffled me for a long time, and each time I did a quick search, but I could not find the answer. Thus, I decided to ask it here.



Answer



I used to make (and still occasionaly make) mistakes in sentences of this sort.



The correct sentence is



I want to understand what my options are.



There's a nicely-named linguistic term: the penthouse principle.


Quoting Wikipedia,



The penthouse principle: The rules are different if you live in the penthouse. (the "penthouse" here is a clause attached to the matrix clause)



The correct word order for a question:




What are my options? (the positions of the auxiliary verb are and the subject options are inverted)



But when you put this clause in a "penthouse", atop a main clause, you do not invert the positions of the subject and the auxiliary verb:



I want to understand [what my options are]. (the positions are not inverted: the subject options comes first, then the auxiliary are)





Note that AdamV, being a native English speaker, says that




I want to understand what are my options. (incorrect)



feels like "two sentences clumped together". That's because we have subject-auxiliary inversion in "what are my options", and this is proper only when this clause is a main clause, not when it is a subordinate clause, a "penthouse atop a skyscraper".


Naturally, a native speaker would feel that "what are my options" should be a standalone clause.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...