Monday, March 27, 2017

meaning in context - What is the proper use of the present progressive form, especially of "to have"?


When I read @ctype.h's question 'Is "I am having a code" grammatically correct?', I thought that @Mark Beadles brought up a good point:



This is two questions, though you may not realize it. The first is the proper use of "I am having a NNN", the present progressive of have. [1]
...
The present progressive and the indefinite article are two of the more troublesome aspects of learning English, especially coming from languages that have neither. 2




As I (a native English speaker) thought about this, I don't think I could properly explain the present progressive to an ELL, even in the seemingly straightforward example @ctype.h gave:



I’m having a code which (does such and such, followed by a fragment of code)



So, really, what is the proper use of the present progressive form, in terms an ELL could understand?



Answer



I'm not a native speaker, and I frequently need to explain the usage of the present progressive form to other non natives.


What I normally tell them is that they need to use this form when referring to an action which is taking place at the time or around the time of speaking, whereas they should use the present simple form in case of habitual situation. I stress the idea of action, adding that there are many verbs which are considered stative and which should not be used in progressive forms.


More specifically, coming to the verb have, I tell them that it can be used in the progressive form when it isn't an auxiliary verb and when its meaning is not "possess".


So, for example, they can say




I'm having a cup of tea



meaning that they are drinking it at the time of speaking, or



I'm having a wonderful time



to indicate they are enjoying themselves, but it is wrong to say



I'm having a car




because in this context the verb "to have" means "to own" or "to possess". Normally it works.


Addition : in my answer, I haven't considered the progressive form with a future meaning, where the problem of making a distinction between this and other future forms is as relevant as any.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...