Wednesday, June 14, 2017

What name should I give each difficulty level?



I have a game with 4 difficulty levels (or levels of AI) and I'm wondering what to name them instead of the boring Easy, Normal, Hard, Impossible.



Answer



Naming is one of those things that people can spend a lot of time tossing around. A little comedic value always makes it more memorable - for instance, the difficulty levels from Rise of the Triad were more descriptive phrases that gave it a little more character.


Rise of the Triad difficulty screen



Sean's advice is spot on too - theme them after something related to your game. Here are some examples:


Street racing game using import tuner-type cars:



  • I use auto-only

  • Where's third gear?

  • There is no speed limit

  • The Flash eats my dust


The intended audience is probably the type of kid who likes cars but can't drive yet, so a little attitude to goad (I mean, encourage) them wouldn't be out of line.


Puzzle game using blocks:




  • First time on the block

  • Blocks are my friends

  • Blockhead


Here I use some fairly simple tie-ins with the puzzle type and the descriptions.


Farm-building whatever:



  • Mouse

  • Piglet


  • Horse

  • Cow


A simple way to have the user correlate difficulty with the size of the animal. Much more memorable than "easy" etc. You could sneak in an unlockable "There is no cow level" if you feel snarky enough. This goes back to one-word descriptions too, if you're sticking to that limit.


Side-scrolling platformer with very wacky theme



  • Ooze-ball

  • Magic fairy

  • Toaster

  • Spinach



I'm thinking of something like Earthworm Jim, although I don't think there were more than 2 difficulty levels and I don't remember if they had names either, but this is with that in mind. In this one, my idea was to be completely nonsensical, and try to use names for which there ARE NO correlations to difficulty. The desired affect is to make it more memorable by being silly, and if the players talk to each other, they know immediately what they're referring to which makes it an inside joke and thus more memorable.


Anyway, from these examples hopefully you get idea how to approach it. If you're really stuck, grab a thesaurus and find synonyms for "easy", etc. At least it would be different. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...