Wednesday, December 23, 2015

education - Is a computer science degree worth it?



I'm in my last year of high school, and I've been looking at colleges. I'm taking a C++ class at a local community college and I don't feel that it's worth it. I could have learned everything in that class in a week.


This had me thinking, would a CS degree even be worth it? How much can it teach me if I can learn everything on my own? Even if I do need to learn more advanced subjects, many colleges put their material online AND I can buy a book. Will companies hire me if I don't have a CS degree? If I have a portfolio will I stand a chance? What kind of things are needed in the portfolio?


I want to live doing what I love - programming. So I will do it. I'm just not sure that a CS degree will do anything to me. In addition, if there is a benefit to getting a CS degree, what places are the best?



Answer



As a burned-out, bitter, and cynical programmer with >10 years in the industry, this would be my advice:


Don't plan on games as a long-term career.


Plan to do it for a few years, get it out of your system. But plan for a more sensible career longer-term, and don't leave it too late to make that change


You might manage 5-10 years in the industry, then you'll realise that there's not much long term future in being made redundant every 1-2 years, and crunching like crazy to buy the higher-ups supercars whilst barely seeing any pay rises, let alone bonuses.



Also, the industry changes at quite a pace. When I was at high school age, it was all about the Amiga, 16-bit consoles, and 2D games. By the time I came out of university, it was all about 3D and Playstations. These days, the 'big games' industry is in a worse state than ever, can't see it lasting many more years as things are. But we have a resurgence in bedroom coding/indie development, and new opportunities in mobile devices and web-based platforms.


Change can be exciting, but generally change means layoffs. Layoffs force salaries down. Changing job means relocating... Most people can't keep doing it for all that long...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...