Wednesday, April 3, 2019

licensing - Verb + object + verb


Which one of this two sentences is correct?




  • I need you to help me do this job

  • I need you to help me to do this job


Can you also provide me some explanation?



Answer



This is a licensing matter, which is discussed in a little more detail here. Briefly, the types of construction which you may employ in subordinate clauses are determined by the verb which the clause complements: each verb licenses (permits) some types of construction and prohibits others.


In your example, the constructions licensed by the verb need are those with a marked infinitive (to + VERB) :



 I need to help you.

 I need you to help me.
 I need for you to help me. ... BUT NOT
✲I need you help me.



In contrast, the verb help licenses constructions with the bare infinitive:



 Help me do this job.



At one time, help also licensed constructions with the marked infinitive, but this use is less common today, and has an old-fashioned ring.




?Help me to do this job.



It’s not exactly wrong, and you should not be disturbed if you encounter it; but I recommend that you restrict yourself to constructions with the unmarked infinitive.


Note that this is entirely different from constructions in which to acts as a preposition rather than an infinitive marker:



 John helped his father to his feet. ... meaning John helped his father rise
 John helped us to London. ... meaning John helped us make our way to London





✲ marks an utterance as unacceptable ? marks an utterance as possibly unacceptable



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...