Friday, February 8, 2019

grammar - When can we omit "does" in the question sentence


I am learning Duolingo English course, I saw a sentence like this:



Who uses the wheels?



But should we use something below?



Who does use the wheels?




What's difference between two? When can I omit the word does in a question sentence?


Thanks


Jake



Answer



Without negation, does is used to question the truth of a statement, or to add emphasis. For example:



Does she use the wheels? Yes/No/I don't know



In your example, you're not asking about whether someone uses the wheels or not, but who uses the wheels, if anyone does at all. For instance:




Who uses the wheels? I do/she does/Alice does/Bob does



Does can also be used for emphasis in certain variants of English (US, UK, Aus, Canadian). For example:



Alice: "She doesn't use the wheels."


Bob: "Who does use the wheels?"



In this case, the use of does would be accompanied by a pitch movement, to show emphasis, usually with it being pronounced with a higher pitch than the rest of the sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...