Wednesday, March 13, 2019

inversion - What are the permissible things in the Yoda dialect?


I've found such a quote of Yoda:



“Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you.”



So, if I want to express my thoughts like him, will I be understood correctly by my clients if I, for instance, say:



“The beer don't have we, peanuts we do.”




meaning "We don't have beer, only peanuts"?



Answer



Yoda is putting the direct object at the beginning of the phrase.


Since I guess your original form is:



We don't have beer, we have peanuts.



So in Yoda-speak it would be:




Beer we don't have, peanuts we do (have).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...